Sunday, January 29, 2006

Toby's Fish and Chips

Sunday night. Ate far too much fattening food so I walked roond to the picture hoose and saw 'Munich'. There wasn't much else on besides 'Hidden' which I'm going to see the morn's night. Acht it was kinda ok. I did fall asleep for about 10 minutes fairly near the start so I may well have missed something tasty...mmm...and then again maybe not.... That's something I tend to do in cinemas. I just can't stay awake in that toasty kind of dark. Much to my chagrin I remember falling asleep during Three Colours:Red a million years ago. Not because I was bored...jeez man...far from it simply because I'd been up since 4AM delivering complimentary sanitary towels and arrest warrants to 'depressed' parts of Kirkcaldy. Anyway, 'Munich' goes on for about 10 years, takes almost as long to make it's point and features some crap dialogue and features IMO a really weak...well, dull... performance from Bruce Banner. You see the actual kidnapping in flashbacked instalments periodically through the fillim. The end of it is intercut in a crass fashion wi' the hulk shagging his missus in slo mo complete wi' what appears to be Soul Glow flying off his hair. He just doesn't have the kind of face that is that interesting in close up or at moments which need to be powerful. His accent sounds more William Morris Lawry than Mossad and he didn't hold my attention at all. The first hour and a half is sequence after sequence of explosions and the build ups to them. When the point starts to get made it heats up a tad but not hugely. The main character is just not involving enough. The other members of the gang are far more like it but they are seriously underused. Geordie Peacock is a very solid actor but he has a lavishly underwritten role to work with.The camerawork is lovely at times-very bleached and faded but there is just too much Spielbergery at large. Despite the careworn visuals you feel like you're watching 'an Oscar winner' and that's never good. If you want to see an accessible yet rewarding fillim that will won Oscars go see 'Brokeback Mountain'. That's much more like it. Maybe I'm just in the mood for longing and yearning...sue me...Night time cinema going in the big city is something of a curate's egg. During the day a solitary man feels at home in the vast expanses of empty seats and can enjoy a fillim in peace. At night he has to compete wi' COUPLES. You are supposed to go to the cinema wi' yer other half. That's a given. In Fife they tumble oot their wee speeding cars into McDonalds and then into Cheaper By The Dozen before going back to Halbeath in time for World's Best Police Chases. Here the couples consist of lookalikes of her out of Slowdive sitting wi' budding young 'DP's' who couldn't get into The Ipcress File at the Filmhoose doon the road. I get so intimidated by couples...well mostly middle class ones. They show me a 'way' of life I've never known- the world of confidences/connections/mutual attraction etc (!!!) AND the world of 2 car garages and opportunities . I mean a' that's fine but I just don't like it so close to me. It's wrong. All those wee conversations that you're no supposed to hear...grrr...The loved up ones behind me had an ongoing conversation during the film which involved him having to tell her repeatedly what Mossad was. In front was what looked like a scene from a noughties remake o' The Good Life. Two pairs of nubiles catching up with each other after what sounded like skiing hols and a weekend in Carshalton respectively. I promise that I won't get any more mental about couples at least not here. Christ the damage that a singleton can cause themselves by hanging out wi the two headed beast can be huge. They are oil and water. One AND two does not go together...anyway..perhaps later...aye so I came hame. I thought about TLK. I thought about how stupid I was thinking about her. I'll write this then I'll gan to bed. Now that's the greatest story ever told...wait a minute did I ever tell you the one wi' the punchline that went 'you're talking aboot sookin' bannet?'...now that's entertainment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home