Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Neps Possee

Mair o' the detached stuff. Life isn't happening. "There's just some things that I see from the side". I could beat you into submission with metaffers that were just dripping in wind and wuthering and I would really like to but I'm trying (relatively speaking) to learn the value of restraint so therefore I'll edit this part down to ...made it onto the train through to Glasgow. Met CH ootside Mono and we went to see Afrirampo. The impact this band had on me when I saw them before was considerable. They played to a meagre crowd in Edinburgh and really fucking rocked the place. I have to say tonight I didn't enjoy them as much but they did have so much to live up to. They seemed to play fewer 'ragers'. There was a bit more messing about. They had acquired some longer pieces some of which contained elements bordering on introspection, not the first thing that normally comes to mind with this band. They had also found some new 'performance' bits which I enjoyed a great deal . Maybe the 'shock value' of being so impressed by an unfamiliar band had just gone. Maybe my mind had gotten attuned to the sight of 2 'eccentric' skinny Japanese girls rocking out and doin' whacky things. This is something that shouldn't be. The intensity and the ROCK level seemed to have gone down and that imo was a shimm. They went down very well tho'...and rightly so. Aye, some wee bastard who called himself 'Germlin' played as well. He was a despicable fake geek. I can't stand this appropriation of despair by the world of virillity. He thought he was funny. So did most folk. He had a lap top. He cue'd up waggish 'gabba' sounds and then 'jamp' aroond in a 'comedy' and dare one say it, 'spaz' style. If you were his best neebor and/or a membor of the arch enemy Bricolage then you maybe found it funny but for the casual observer or ok..me... it was real garbage despite the occasional big bassy bit which revealed hitherto unheard strength in the Mono PA. It got surreal. A plummy Glasgow version of Jay and Silent Bob were digging it big time ie A chunky ponytailed Gimli lookalike and a longhaired 'dude' got very excited, even taking part in the Germ's 'antics'. They were keen keen keen guys. The whole Germlin spectacle sucked ass. There are certain members of (musical) society who because of prevailing winds and culture can get away with anything. The Germ is one of them. ALL you need is shaggy hair and the ability to wear the claes of a 'goofus' and thae black thick glasses and yer sorted. If you happen to come from The West End tae then you're in 7th heaven. You're a 'made' person. This was yet another example thereof. It turned oot that Jay and Silent Bob loved Afrirampo too. Cue more 'awkward yet enthusiastic' dancing. Silent Bob looked as if he had been made by the Weta Workshop complete with warts and facial 'peculiarites'. There is a chance that he genuinely wasn't human. It was hard to tell whether the dancing was totally sardonic or not. They may have been the Tekken 2 worshipping bona fide article. This 'type' is not normally seen in Mono tho' I am aware that metallers tend to like anything with loud guitars and also anything played by pretty girls . It's just that they tend not to be exposed to many of the non generic loud guitars in Kerrang or the pretty girls in any sphere of their lives either so if they stumble onto something by accident they will tend to dig it big time and they did. It was touching in it's way, I think. My mind wasn't right while I was there. I was dazed. I felt an overwhelming urge to drink beer and lots of it. I think I spoke to CH a lot re 'going to the bridge' It was on ma mind all the time. Its been there today. Festering away. "I can't find a lot in ma life I enjoy". I have a number of 'problems' etc etc. That weight has reappeared ... in addition to the 20 stone one round my belly ...overpowering and draining. I'm loath to write it down cause it sounds extremely shit, like the work o' someone trying to curry favour and manipulate you. I know I have done manipulative things in my time. I'm deeply ashamed of them. I got desperate for attention or company or to have the feeling someone was thinking about me and that I 'meant' something to them. In my delusional state I would think I was due 'recognition' for something unclear, just anything. Maybe I like the anonymity of writing this blog and the feeling I'm getting something out into the open. I have to weigh that up against the opportunities it gives me for negative self reflection. I'm far less self conscious than I would be if I was talking to your face. I'm not sure whether that's a negative or a positive. My mood's been so low today. I've lolled around trying to get moving. All the time new negative thoughts come in to replace the ones I've got rid of. New reminders of how 'shit' things seem to be. The TOT has made sporadic reappearances. I've been dwelling on debt and the prospect of having no money. I'll probably be skint for some time from next week. I do force masel to a certain extent to try to think of solutions to 'everything' and it's as if I have no energy left to fight. The negative outlook has taken over and removed any will I had. It's felt that bad today. There really is nothing to report re what I've done cause I haven't done anything. I've thought about doing lots but it's all 'too difficult'. Being tired o' life can be pretty tiring. Fuck...

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Hynd said...

Hello Mummay Caesar.

Just out of curiosity, what's your definition of a "real" person. I'm genuinely interested.

I'm all for messing things up, but Germlin was embarrassing to watch. Please don't go attacking people for having valid points of view or for writing in whichever style they wish or a voice in which they are most comfortable. Internet anonymity is a wonderful thing isn't it MC?

Hello, my name is Chris and I live in Edinburgh.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Jock Gumps said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Jock Gumps said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Jock Gumps said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jock Gumps said...

Hi MC, as ever I am really sorry if I've offended folk. I'll try to explain shall I? Well bitter I might accept. In fact fuck it, at times I'm oddly proud of being bitter. It's just another tendency of mine that I have to try and fight. In this case tho' I was not being bitter at seeing someone having the nerve to 'perform' or to 'get up there' but merely expressing some annoyance re Germlin and bewilderment re the general scene. I loved the fact that 2 (presumably) genuine geeks were standing there watching a total fake one act like what he thinks a geek to be. It was indeed a sweet yet bitter moment for me. I wanted to try and describe that. I hate the hegemony that imo is around at the moment. These fucking popular people wearing thick NHS glasses and pretending to be awkward while dressed to the nines.I've had enough of it quite frankly. Glasgow is the hub of this type o' behaviour. It's suffocating. It appears to be a big pals club where in-joke irony is everything. Awbody's so hip and clever and witty when they sit round holding court in Brel or that 'Ostentatious Tea House' place of an evening. I bet you someone has a stall set up in there selling those NHS frames frae the 70's. Come and get them here. You too can entertain yer large circle o'friends by buying these and pretending you're lonely and sad. I'm not denying the industry and the enthusiasm of this wing of the Glasgow scene and it's produced some great music but IMO it's no ayways that inclusive. I might be wrong but I felt that I was encroaching on an audience with an'approved' performer. It made me nervous. I would hope that Synergy or anyone who booked G do not see him as messing things up. He looks like a tailor's dummy dressed as 'the look of now'. He will go down well with most crowds partly because of this and partly because he comes across as 'fun'. His music while sporadically big and boomy and messy is undermined by the lack of anything 'real' (ha) in there. It's all splurged out so you can 'have a laugh' with it and he also seems to TRY to be unlistenable. He's missed out on the fact that the truly unlistenable is usually very listenable . I hope nobody finds his show challenging or groundbreaking. His stage antics are more akin to the Rod Hull school of confrontation than anything 'real'(I love when you can just quote someone. It means I don't have to waste time using the thesaurus). MC, if you are either 'Jay' or 'Silent Bob' then I'm sorry for being a little personal. The scene was just something I couldn't resist. If you think I don't like 'real' people then you should read the rest of ma blog. I hate going to gigs and being surrounded by the beautiful ones in all their finery. I feel that gig going is too often like that. I'm also pretty 'real' masel. Read ma description elsewhere in that post. I'm not an indie kid. I like seeing other non indie kids at gigs. I hate uniforms and these easy ways of identification. I think you should amend your geographical take on me tae. You've got the wrong side of the country pal. I write this way because it's the way I speak ie attempting to be posh and proper and finding the Fife leak through without me knowing it. Joyless I truly am not. That's the only thing I'll take exception to. I want to see joy. I want to see reality. I want to see 'real' expression and fire and hurt and pain and tears and laughter. I don't want to see any of the following...contrivance, spurious word play, people playing for the benefit of their pals, complacency, whackyness, fashionable behavior etc etc...Mr G touched a nerve with me alright and not because I felt he appalled or 'stretched' me 'til I burst with righteous indignation..in fact how dare you suggest that?!..just because he saddened me, he wasted ma time with his smug vaudeville antics. Maybe he could just play at National Pop League every week. I'm sure he'd be happy. All his pals would be happy tae. They're the ones that count really, I would guess. He would maybe develop a reputation as the next Freddie 'Parrot Face' Davies or this years 'The Legend'. He could have a lengthy string of 7-inches on Creeping Bent and do quite nicely for himself. Aye I'm all too 'real' you see. I'm just off to ma ain space and ma ain hoose wi naebody in tow so I can get miserable and 'anti-social' and write words re how I've failed in life. Maybe after a certain time at night you change out of your daytime clothes, go to the afore and oft mentioned Brel, buy your glasses, borrow a smoking jacket from somebody, get your hair nice and tousled and then head to the Art school so you can vogue the night away to Le Tigre or maybe you don't. Either way, it's no worth arguing about. Please comment again or email me if you want to chat further. We're probably no that different...

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home