Monday, January 23, 2006

Interregnum + Ignatieff

I've just been thinking...aye that isn't traditionally the most fruitful thing for me to be doing but...I don't think I'm going to join a slimming class after all. This is not a cue for me to resume pie consumption tho'. I've had success in the past going it alone. I lost 4 stone a coupla years back simply by willpower and a wee bit mair exercise. I intend to buy a set of scales and carry on from there. I tend to be loath to get weighed as one of my 'human' quirks is a tendency to gorge when I get down about my weight. I feel heavy so pass the Pringles...fuckin' behave yersel man...but I intend to be tested wi' this so I shall purchase said scales and scare masel into action. I shall give you the gen later....PS I got irate a while or so ago when I saw a very smug picture of Michael Ignatieff on the Interweb. He's been a bete noir of mine for a number of years. In fact not just him but academics in general appear to vex me bent. I like the idea of being able to earn a living postulating, pontificating, bellowing and theorising in studentland caffs and bars. However I do not possess the 'nous' to write theses on the importance of The Sultans of Ping FC to Ptolemy XIV. I really wish I did. I also feel that listening to academics postulating etc etc is not a spectator sport and that, really, parts of these caffs should be soundproofed so that Magnus and Gavin can get on with their cutting edge treatise in a place where only people who can fully appreciate it can be party to it. Aye maybe I feel intimidated and jealous but ...hey man..I can grow a beard pretty good and I can buy a tweed jacket and so forth....and as for Ignatieff himself well he's a pompous ass who loves to let forth his glorious opinions, normally on how he supports the Iraq war and in how he 'always wanted to run for public office' as well as many reassessments of Voltaire/'Persuasion' etc. He so does look like the smuggest of a very self contented bunch. Or was that just me 'venting'?...it's so hard being poor...you know something...I've never met a poor professor emeritus in my time...the world is indeed a fucked up pliss...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home